Exploring a Large Abandoned Mansion from 1825 | Abandoned Mansions
This now vacant mansion dates back to the mid 1800’s and was owned by the same family from 1874 to 1908. In 1909 it was sold to a banker from Buffalo who renamed the home and the property, using his own last name.
The new owner would build two cottages on the property for employees, as well as a barn and clubhouse. In 1919 he also purchased the adjoining property, razed the existing stone house, and put up a new one for his daughter.
The first floor of the house retains more of the original look of the house. The front door opens onto a deep entry area. To the right is a relatively narrow stairway up to the second floor, which was extensively remodelled to allow dormitory bedrooms and baths when the house was owned by a local institute.
The original portion of the estate was built in 1825, and has seen renovations and additions over the years to the building that was used as a summer home, when it was purchased in 1905, then when it was used as a think tank and most recently a school of philosophy